1. Feel Good About Yourself Today
Be sure the people around you make you feel good about you no matter what your size or health condition. In addition, if close friends encourage you to overeat find some new friends who have good health habits and also want a healthier you.
2. Make Simple Daily Change
Start small and make a few simple weight loss and exercise changes each day. These small changes can add up over time to give you a big health boost. Here are some suggestions:
- Add 5 more grams of fiber to your daily meal plan.
- Cut out refined carbohydrates, such as white bread, white rice, and sweets
- Add two more servings of veggies at lunch and dinner
- Drink three more glasses of water each day
- Add 10 minutes of walking to your daily exercise regimen
- Wake up 15 minutes earlier and walk before work
5. Find a Cheering Section
- Think of five people who might be in your cheering section. Talk to these people about giving you support and holding you accountable as you work to reach your weight loss or health goals. Call upon your cheering section when you’re having trouble sticking with good health habits. When you do reach small weight loss or exercise goals, invite your support group to celebrate with you.
6. Forgive Yourself
If you slip up on vacation and overeat, or fail to exercise forgive yourself. Don’t beat yourself up! Instead, say, “I really enjoyed my vacation,” and let it go at that.Allowing yourself time to enjoy a few indulgences occasionally is OK. If you start to feel guilty for having dessert on a special night out, forgive yourself and start back on your more disciplined program the next day.
7. Never Go Hungry
Rigid diets don’t work for anyone. Include planned snacks in your daily diet to prevent binges. Make sure you allow for treats once a week without feeling guilty. Have a brownie every Friday, and enjoy every bite.
8. Remember That Change Takes Time
It’s easy to see thin people and think how lucky they are. But here’s the truth: If a thin person is over 30 — or even over 20 — chances are they are working hard at being thin each day. Learn from them. Find out how they stay thin. Is it through more exercise? Eating fewer snacks?
Make the commitment to change some lifestyle habits and allow yourself plenty of time to see your goal. In addition, accept the fact that your body is meant to be a certain size even if that size isn’t skinny and feel good about it.
9. Move Around More Today; Sit Less
Make healthy choices by being more physically active.Change your TV channel manually. Take the stairs at work. Go for a walk with your friends.Raining outside? Walk or run in place while watching TV. No excuses!